How Long Does an Oil Change Take?
If you are asking, “How long does an oil change take?” check out this guide. An oil change usually takes 20 minutes to an hour. This all depends on who’s doing the work, as well as when you last had an oil change near Glendora, Baldwin Park or La Puente.
Now that you know how long an oil change takes, we’ll go over what the process entails. We’ll also tell you why oil changes are so important and how often you should get them done. Read through our informative guide below and contact us at Norm Reeves Honda Superstore West Covina if you have any questions.
Changing Oil in Honda Vehicles
Unless you regularly hang around a service center, you probably don’t know the process of an oil change. Our technicians change your car’s oil by taking the following steps:
- The car is parked on an even surface and raised using a hydraulic jack or a car ramp, so the oil canister can be easily accessed.
- The oil drain plug will be opened, and the oil will drain. A drain pan is usually placed below to catch any oil drippings.
- Once the oil is drained, the filters will be replaced. The filters remove any impurities or contaminants that can possibly damage the engine. So, they need to be changed regularly and switched out for clean ones.
- The oil is then replaced with the type that’s right for your vehicle.
Importance of Regular Oil Changes
Routine oil changes are crucial for keeping the engine healthy, which helps with the overall performance of your car. Oil changes:
- Keep the engine nice and cool: The engine has many moving parts, which can cause friction when rubbed against each other. The more heat that’s produced, the likelier the engine will overheat and break down. Engine oil will keep those components lubricated and cool to prevent engine failure.
- Remove impurities: Clean oil will help minimize sludge being built up inside the engine. This is crucial because once too much sludge gets inside, it will speed up corrosion and cause other problems that can lead to engine wear.
- Improve gas mileage: Dirty oil will cause the engine to work even harder, which eats up your gas. However, with clean oil, the engine won’t need to work as hard, which means it will consume less gas. As a result, you’ll get to enjoy significant fuel savings in the long run.
How Often You Should Get an Oil Change
When you should get an oil change really depends on your vehicle and the type of oil that it uses. For instance, if you have an older car, you may have to get an oil change every 3,000 miles. Newer automobiles can get an oil change every 5,000 to 7,500 miles. And if your vehicle uses full synthetic oil, you could wait as long as 15,000 miles before needing a new oil change.
Your driving habits can also affect when you need an oil change. For instance, you may have to get an oil change every 3,000 miles if you often experience the following:
- Traveling in stop-and-go traffic.
- Using your vehicle for towing heavy loads.
- Making frequent short trips (10 miles in cold climates and five miles in hot environments).
- Driving on dusty, muddy, sandy or gravel roads.
Schedule an Oil Change Nearby
As you can see, regular oil changes are crucial for your engine’s performance. And, luckily, they don’t take long at all!
So, if you are asking, “How long does an oil change take?” and you live near Glendora, Baldwin Park or La Puente, then schedule service at Norm Reeves Honda Superstore West Covina today!